Pneumonia Q&A: No Big Deal or Deadly?
Pneumonia is a word many have heard, but what is it? It is fairly common, which is why the term is heard so often, but what does it entail?
What is pneumonia?
Pneumonia is an infection in the lungs that interferes with their normal functioning. It can block oxygen flow if the infectious organisms are not fought away by the body’s immune cells.
Which is worse, the flu or pneumonia?
Both the flu and pneumonia affect the respiratory system, so Express ER in Waco treats the both seriously. They cause fevers, excessive fatigue, and coughs. They can also become very serious and result in death or severe illness, but most individuals recover from the flu or pneumonia with no lasting symptoms.
- The flu is caused by a type of virus, so it will not respond to antibiotics.
- It affects the lungs, nose, and throat.
- Symptoms include chills, headache, fever, chills, sore throat, fatigue, pain in the muscles and joints, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Symptoms last about 3 to 7 days.
- It is much more contagious than pneumonia.
- Rest and plenty of fluids will get rid of the flu without visiting an emergency room in Waco, along with medication bought over the counter.
- In serious cases it can turn into pneumonia.
- Caused by bacterium.
- Affects the lungs as well as the lower respiratory tract.
- Symptoms are similar to the flu, but also include difficulty breathing, pain when breathing, a persistent cough, and thick yellow or green mucus.
- Antibiotics are needed for most individuals to heal.
- Pneumonia is more likely to require emergency care in Waco.
If you experience serious symptoms, or symptoms of pneumonia, visit an emergency room near me to get quality medical care from the staff at Express ER in Waco.